The Role of Calcium Carbonate
Industrial Usages: Calcium carbonate is the most widely used mineral in the paper, plastics, paints , adhesives & sealants and coatings industries both as a ﬁller – and due to its special white color - as a coating pigment. In the paper industry it is valued worldwide for its high bright- ness and light scattering characteristics, and is used as an inexpensive ﬁller to make bright opaque paper. Filler is used at the wet-end of paper making machines, and calcium carbonate ﬁller allows for the paper to be bright and smooth. As an extender, calcium carbonate can represent as much as 30% by weight in paints.
Health and Food Processing Usages: Calcium carbonate is used widely as an eﬀective dietary calcium supplement, antacid, phosphate binder, or base material for medicinal tablets. It also is found on many grocery store shelves in products such as baking powder, toothpaste, dry-mix dessert mixes, dough, and wine. Calcium carbonate is the active ingredient in agricultural lime, and is used in animal feed. Calcium carbonate also beneﬁts the environment through water and waste treatment.
What is the difference between Ground Calcium Carbonate (GCC) and Precipitated Calcium Carbonate (PCC)?
Pure calcium carbonate can be extracted by mining or quarrying such as from marble rock. The primary type of industrial product is called “ground calcium carbonate,” ( GCC). GCC, as the name implies, involves crushing and processing limestone to create a powdery-like form graded by size and other properties for many diﬀerent industrial and pharmaceutical applications.
Chemical Analysis of GCC
CaCO3 99 %
Fe2O3 0.05 %
MgO 0.6 %
John E. Sturge Ltd. has commercially invented 1841 "Precipitated Calcium Carbonate" (PCC) from Ground Calcium Carbonate. Calcined Ground Calcium Carbonate separates it in forming lime (CaO) and carbon dioxide gas (CO2). Water is added to give calcium hydroxide then carbon dioxide is passed through this solution to precipitate the desired calcium carbonate.
Structural formulas: CaCO3
Molecular weight: 100.08 g / mol
CaO + H2O → Ca(OH)2
Ca(OH)2 + CO2 → CaCO3 + H2O
CaCo3 98,6 %
Mg 300 ppm
Fe 176 ppm
AI <163 ppm
Ti <300 ppm
PCC has a very ﬁne, white and controlled particle size, on the order of 2 microns in diameter and therfore used as functional mineral filler in many sectors and for higher quality produtcs.
PE calcium carbonate Compound
Calcium Carbonate Compound may be used with a myriad of thermoplastic resins. Polypropylene compounds are often ﬁlled with calcium carbonate to increase rigidity, an important requirement for operations at high temperatures. In PVC, calcium carbonate is used with ﬂexible compounds such as tubing, wire and cable insulation, latex gloves, trash bags and in rigid compounds such as extruded pipes, conduits and window proﬁles.
Modify physical property of plastics, act as plastical modiﬁer.
Replace petroleum resource, reduce production cost. Environmentally friendly. Improve printability, smoothness, hardness, stiﬀness, anti-block...
PE calcium carbonate additive: used for LDPE/LLDPE/HDPE film blowing/casting, HDPE sheet extrusion, HDPE pipe extrusion, HDPE bottle blowing..., one of additives modifying polyethylene/polythene/polyoleﬁn resin.
- Processed by the four paddle rotor internal batch mixer or twin screw extruder.
- Calcium carbonate master batch for transparent HDPE ﬁlm available now. Adding by%10-5, transparency
becomes better in some cases; adding by %30-10, transparency is still good enough. It's also good for LDPE ﬁlm, HDPE pipe and PP sheet, which are transparent, but not very transparent.
- Rub the ﬁlm, CaCO3 (powder) and/or talc (powder) are not found.
- Pellet is round and ﬂat in shape, smooth feeling, well plastiﬁed, good dispersibility.
- Ideal additive, harmless, no toxin.
- Save cost, reduce expenditure, strengthen competition.
- Professional process: CaCO3 (powder) and/or talc (powder) are coated and activated by unique coupling agent, dispersant and plasticizer before CaCO3 (pellet) and/or talc (pellet) are produced.
- Special formula: CaCO3 compound and/or talc compound do not apparently side eﬀect physical property of PE ﬁlm, sometime the tensile strength of PE ﬁlm becomes better after adding CaCO3 compound and/or talc compound.
- Plastic calcium carbonate additive named as CaCO3 ﬁller additive,CaCO-3ﬁlled agent,CaCO3 composite,CaCO3 extender, CaCO3 granule.
We provide for every application various shapes and coationgs of PCC
back to Minerals